I've seen videos by Boston Dynamics before but this is the most impressive yet. The robot in the video, Atlas, is designed to work both outdoors and inside buildings. It is electrically and hydraulically powered, uses sensors in its body and legs to balance, and LIDAR and stereo sensors to avoid obstacles and generally navigate difficult terrain. It stands at 5' 9" tall and weighs in at 180 lbs.
From the video, it's not hard to imagine that in the not too distant future, robots such as Atlas could and will be taking our jobs. Don't watch past 2:05 in the video, unless you want to see disturbing scenes of robot cruelty :)
Photo credit: Boston Dynamics via YouTube
Check these out too:
- Camera Robots - The ULTIMATE Selfie Stick! [Video]
- Robotic Bar Tender Can Mix 120 Cocktails An Hour At Tipsy Robot in Las Vegas!
- Now You Can Have Gourmet Meals In The Comfort Of Your Own Home! [Video]
- Checkout The Cutest And Hardest Working Robots In China! [Video]
- The Latest Boston Dynamics Robot Will Completely Freak You Out [Video]
- These Robotic Titans Can Haul Iron Ore 24 Hours A Day [Video]
- China Is Building Killer Robot Technology Into Its Cruise Missiles